- Diagnose coronary heart disease
- Diagnose heart-related cause of symptoms such as chest pains, shortness of breath or lightheadedness
- Determine a safe level of exercise
- Check effectiveness of previous procedures
- Predict cardiac-disease risk.
The test involves connecting the patient to heart monitors and walking on a treadmill. Gradually, the pace and incline of the treadmill is increased to raise the patient’s heart rate. At intervals, the patient may be asked to breath into a tube. At the test’s completion, heart and blood pressure rates are checked.